PENAWAR AUTISM RESOURCES 2019
1. Attention grabber: while it is estimated that 7% of Malaysian children suffer from dyslexia, no definitive, standardised diagnostic tool exists within the Malaysian context.
What is Dyslexia?
3. Secondary school
4. Young adult
Testing for Dyslexia
1. Testing for dyslexia involves 4 specific areas
2. Phonological Awareness
5. Rapid Naming
Coping with Dyslexia
1. There are two established programmes that can help children deal with dyslexia:
2. In addition, parent and teacher can also contribute positively in overcoming the child’s dyslexia by helping the child
3. Parents must also reinforce the child’s language skills by
1. Kementerian Pendidikan’s screening tool for dyslexia: SENARAI SEMAK DISLEKSIA
2. Parameters for SENARAI SEMAK DISLEKSIA (SSD)
3. Problem: cases of dyslexia might be mistaken as a learning disability and be categorised as an OKU. The child might be made to leave ALIRAN PERDANA and attend schools in KELAS PENDIDIKAN KHAS
4. Consequence: once inducted into the OKU system, it is difficult (if not impossible) to extract the child from the system. This is true even if the dyslexia has been successful dealt with. The child will forever categorised an OKU.
1. Dyslexia is a condition where the child suffers from language disabilities that is not consistent with his intellectual abilities.
2. Typical symptoms include difficulty in reading, in decoding words, in discerning orientation, etc.
3. There are specific tests (addressing phonological awareness, decoding, comprehension and rapid naming) that can be taken to establish whether or not a child is dyslexic. Early detection will enhance the child’s chances for successfully dealing with dyslexia.
4. Programmes that can help a child cope with dyslexia include the Orton-Gilligham Approach and Multisensory Instruction.
5. Strategies for dealing with a child’s dyslexia
6. Early detection of a dyslexic condition and active remedial measures enhances the child’s ability to function in a meaningful way in the conventional classroom environment.